Henry Ford, the founder of the Ford Motor Company once said “coming together is a beginning, keeping together is progress and working together is success”… as a MITIE Client Services manager and leader of people I am passionate about my team and know I will only be successful if I have the support and dedication of each and every team member.
Successful teamwork begins with having common goals and objectives, teams can’t function without them as they won’t be able to pull in the same direction, that’s because teams are made up of different personalities, attitudes, skills and ambitions.
So, how can we improve our teamwork? Here are some of my suggestions:
- Make sure you understand the tasks you’ve been assigned, and how they affect the roles of other team members;
- Focus on how you’re going to achieve all the goals and objectives of the team;
- Play to your strengths rather than your weaknesses;
- Speak up in a timely manner;
- Communicate effectively and use tact;
- Build trust with each of your team members;
- Remember that it’s not what you say, but it’s what you do and achieve that counts;
- Help other team members to fulfil their tasks;
- Offer genuine and specific praise;
- Accept constructive criticism.
In my spare time I love football and I am a passionate supporter of Liverpool Football Club, a once great team that dominated England and Europe. In the last decade, or so, with the influx of wealth from Russia and Abu Dhabi we have fallen behind in terms of success but as I write this blog my beloved Liverpool are doing well under the leadership of a new young manager and an inspirational captain on the pitch which reminds me of another quote “when you score a goal, or hit a three, or get a touchdown, you don’t do it for yourself, you do it for the team, because the name on the front of the shirt is more important than the one on the back.”
In work we are all ambassadors of MITIE Client Services and share the same vision of ‘creating exceptional, memorable experiences… one guest at a time’. As individuals we all contribute to the success of the team.
“If everyone is moving forward together then success takes care of itself.” Henry Ford.
By Keith Walker, Regional Operations Manager, MITIE Client Services